Tips for Supervisors
Tips for Supervisors:
A flexible work arrangement will require a supervisor’s support and approval.
It is important to:
- Be knowledgeable about company policies and guidelines. Be familiar with company handbooks and consult personnel or human resources when there are questions.
- Promote flexibility and work with employees to customize solutions. When used as management tools, rather than as favors given to specific employees, there are many more options available to employees and supervisors for getting the job done.
- Use discretion wisely. Examine each situation individually, while keeping in mind the needs of the employee and the organization.
- Be accepting and fair. Supervisors should put aside any biases they many have so they can fully understand and consider the needs of individuals whose attitudes or lifestyles may differ from their own. Supervisors need to review employees’ work/life issues in a consistent, objective manner and make decisions based on what is best for the company, the work unit and the employee.
Once workers are deployed in their flexible work arrangement, it is important to:
- Provide attainable tasks and performance evaluation standards
- Review and together sign, the company telework agreement.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback
- Praise work well done
- Facilitate open communication
- Exhibit trust for the teleworker
- Maintain regular face-to-face contact
- Be honest
Click here to download the “Tips for Supervisors”: